Is This Mather Pass

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Is This Mather Pass

Post by InsaneBoost »

I was going to Mono Hot Springs the other night and saw this off in the distance. Being I'm still learning about the area and what not, I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what this is.

From what I've looked at and what not, I believe it's Mather Pass, but I'm simply not sure either.

Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Eiprahs
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Is This Mather Pass

Post by Eiprahs »

I don't think you can see Mather Pass from the East side because Mather is lower than the crest. The only place on the crest lower than Mather is Taboose Pass, and the ridge extending WSW from Cardinal Mountain would block the view of Mather thru Taboose. I hope the following photos illustrate this--click on them for high res versions.

This photo shows Upper Basin and Mather Pass from near the JMT/Taboose Pass trail intersection. Mather Pass is the low point about 3/4 from left to right. The Palisade group is visible thru the pass.

The photo above is the second of four frames in the panorama below. Taboose Pass is to the right behind the treed ridge. The mountain with colored rock at far right is Cardinal Mountain. Mather pass is the low point at the panorama's center, and the ridge extending WSW from Cardinal would block the view north to Mather.

This photo shows Mather Pass as seen from the north from Upper Palisade Lake. Mather is the gap right of center backdropped by clouds. Mt. Bolton Brown is at left.

Well, this doesn't explain what you were looking at, but I hope you like the photos. :)
Dave
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Your photo shows Mt. Ritter and the Minarets. Mather Pass is much further SE from that area.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Always love the photos no matter what, so it's good to see what Mather Pass is for sure, from someone on the forum than the typical Google images.

Thanks for the info, Rogue. I have to say I like that area a lot.