Replacement Batteries for Camera's?

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Replacement Batteries for Camera's?

Post by old and slow »

I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS-15 so there is no GPS or Wi Fi sucking up battery life but reviewing recent trips, I usually take around 220 photos on a typical 3 night/4 day trip all on one battery. I do carry one extra battery just in case as well an additional memory card. Like others have already mentioned, I'm pretty conservative in using the camera e.g. pretty careful in framing shots, don't preview too much, etc. I don't use the video feature very often either. I did buy the Panasonic battery as a back-up rather than a cheaper generic one as the cost difference wasn't that much. I have really liked my Panasonic; good luck with yours.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

I have had good experiences using generic batteries for my 2 Panasonic P&S's and a Canon DSLR. My generic batteries were made by Wasabi (slightly higher cost than other generics) and on the Panasonics, I seem to have been able to take more photos than the original Panasonic battery which was consistent with the user reviews on Amazon.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

old and slow wrote:I have a Panasonic Lumix ZS-15 so there is no GPS or Wi Fi sucking up battery life but reviewing recent trips, I usually take around 220 photos on a typical 3 night/4 day trip all on one battery. I do carry one extra battery just in case as well an additional memory card. Like others have already mentioned, I'm pretty conservative in using the camera e.g. pretty careful in framing shots, don't preview too much, etc. I don't use the video feature very often either. I did buy the Panasonic battery as a back-up rather than a cheaper generic one as the cost difference wasn't that much. I have really liked my Panasonic; good luck with yours.
My experience is almost identical. I don't have the GPS or WiFi either. With two Panasonic batteries I can get through an entire week trip with no problem but I manage my batteries as best I can like above. I normally have maybe one short video and few night pictures.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Thank you all so very much for your comments back to me...Maverick..thank you for doing that..wow a case number I will follow up on that..really appreciate that.

I will pay more attention to what I am doing with the camera to conserve the energy..I do find myself at night in the tent in bed wanting to look at my pictures I took during the day and I know that can use a lot of battery energy..but it's fun to do. :)
I think I will just go ahead and buy a few extra replacement batteries..seems like this would be the best way to go.

Rockyroad...I will look for that brand of generic batteries..thank you..my friend who also uses a Panasonic says she also buys the generic brands and has never had a problem.
David...Finally a new camera to use..I am looking forward on using it this summer..I have missed taking pictures.

Thank you all again so very much..very much appreciate the comments
dapperdave
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dapperdave »

I have found that camera batteries often take a couple of charge/discharge cycles to gain their rated capacity. I would try this before a warranty return.

I have had good experiences with 3rd party replacement batteries (no-name from ebay/amazon marketplace) both for my previous Canon DSLR, Panasonic compact and my current Sony RX100; the life seems the same but the battery level display may not work quite perfectly (ie. stays at 100% for longer, then shows empty more suddenly)

In addition to the battery life tips already posted, avoid using the battery whilst below freezing, this drains very quickly, if you want to take dawn photos keep the camera (or just a battery) inside your sleeping bag.

If you review shots at night, you can turn the display brightness down.

Dave