Humphreys Basin July 31 > August 7, 2018

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Humphreys Basin July 31 > August 7, 2018

Post by SSSdave »

Summary of the backpacking trip 3 of us made July 31 thru August 7. Full feature story here:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2018_Trip_C ... 018-8.html

We had afternoon thunderstorms the first few days, and periods where Ferguson smoke had me keeping the camera in the bag, especially during afternoons when up canyon breezes brought in smoke. But nicely had 3 good mornings for photos that is 3 more than I managed during my very stormy and or breezy trip last year. Plan A itinerary did not happen as it was too much for my bros. Spent 2 nights east of the pass and 5 west. So we went with leisurely Plan B that went well, base camping 3 nights at same location on Desolation Creek.

Vegetation was more advanced than I had forecast in early May when we committed, but due to the dry warm breezy desiccating June after a wet May, that was obviously the situation by early July. That noted, still found a strong area of later blooming species to foreground Glacier Divide and Mount Humphreys. So when the good morning weather days occurred, I captured some nice landscapes. We 3 did have a fine enjoyable fun time, exploring, fishing, eating, listening to music, playing in water, photoing, that was the most important objective. The basin is a superb area for reflections given so many lakes and ponds. One just needs some quiet time.

On the negative, due to a mental mistake changing camera settings, I missed bringing back 4 rather strong subjects during the second opportunity of good morning weather.