Yosemite Valley cold snowstorm

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Yosemite Valley cold snowstorm

Post by SSSdave »

A rare forecast tomorrow for day time snow in Yosemite Valley starting late morning though just accumulating to 4 inches by sunset and maybe another inch by midnight before skies clear. The most unusual thing are temperature will be exceptionally cold. By 4pm clouds arrive then by 7pm tonight Wednesday 2/21/2018 it drops below freezing. By dawn it is 4F. Yeah 4 degrees Fahrenheit! By noon 20F. Friday morning just as cold with clear skies.

https://www.windy.com/37.737/-119.608?t ... ,m:eH2acPO

Although it snows a few times each winter at Yosemite Valley at 4000 feet, usually temperatures are just below freezing. Due to the massive granite walls that have absorbed heat, snow does not tend to last very long because that heat melts it off. But at the above really cold temperatures, we are likely to see snow stay on all the cliff ledges much longer providing a more wintery landscape.

Obviously one ought have 4wd with R2 rated tires. And very warm clothing, head gear, snow boots, snow shoes, gloves, expedition weight mittens, and ways to protect a camera while it is snowing. Working a camera at such temperatures is difficult. Am not at this point committed for Thursday as I already have numbers of decade plus old strong 4x5 material of daytime snow in the valley from much larger storms. More likely Friday sunrise after checking what actually fell by evening.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Yosemite Valley cold snowstorm

Post by SSSdave »

Yosemite Valley remote precip gauge has only picked up .06 inches as of 7pm so not the 4 inches forecast though temps are cold at 30F as predicted and will soon fall like a rock. So I won't be driving up to YV tonight although they may add a bit more. Maybe 5 or 6 inches of super light snow at my ski resort and some more to fall in near hours. SF NWS Observation page showing some really low temps already dipping in upper 30s in some SF Bay Area spots with quite a bit of blustery wind. Feel sad for any homeless people choosing to be outside tonight. Scary life threatening conditions even at sea level.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: Yosemite Valley cold snowstorm

Post by SSSdave »

Half Dome web cam shows storm under performed so would not have been a worthwhile trip. Yeah there is snow but does not look at all like after 6 inch plus storms. Long range weather forecasts are hinting at something big and cold possible 10 days out. Do wish I was up at Kirkwood skiing today as they are reporting 12 inches of the lightest fluff all winter my fat powder skis would have sure enjoyed. But I have a couple local CNPS hikes this weekend and then have Santa Clara County JURY DUTY all next week...wahhhhhh. Hoping I don't get stuck on some long case jury like a decade ago. That would put me out of action like getting the flu.

https://www.yosemiteconservancy.org/webcams/half-dome