SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SIERRA INSPIRATION PHOTOTHON!

Post by fishmonger »

Our camp at this lake didn't quite pan out this year. Getting to the site we usually set up camp was sketchy to say the least, so we kept on going past this "shore line" to camp higher up where the snow was blown off the crest.

Lake of the Lone Indian not quite a lake yet
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Image_MG_1613 by Jim Rowley, on Flickr
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Wow?! Is it the Trumpian apocalypse already, or a crazy, out-of-control wildfire of a different nature? "Granite Park" Jim? Kudos, Harlen.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Portent?
No, it's just Zeus practicing his craft on Mt. Olympus.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Heading up to Sky Blue Lake last weekend:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wow?! Is it the Trumpian apocalypse already, or a crazy, out-of-control wildfire of a different nature? "Granite Park" Jim? Kudos, Harlen.
It is the view due west from Dusy Basin Harlen, it was fabulous to seen in person, a pretty rare occurrence. My shot, a panoramma, was taken at the same time, but from another location, that was scouted out during the day. This is one of two photo's that made it into my purchasing gallery. Click on the photo to get a larger intimate view. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

This was taken late August from Piute Lake on my way out from a 4 day trip into Humphreys Basin
Sunset.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I got nothing to compete with those skies. I do have colorful, though. This one quite popular over on Flickr. No idea how that works there, but some images get 10 views, others 10,000

July 13, before the road to Reds opened. All alone at the falls for the half hour we spent there on our way down into Fish Valley

Rainbow Falls at high water
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great photos!
Maverick, that's fantastic water clarity; it's interesting to see the underwater rocks ... try to get a trout too next time.
"Psykokid," isn't Miter a great place? My friend just did the long, winding climb of Mt Pickering from Sky Blue Lake, did you climb while there?
Sorry for the poor quality first photo, but it makes an interesting springtime comparison with your nice late summer photo. The second shot is taken from the margin of frozen Sky Blue Lake.
miter basin-043.JPG
miter basin-051.JPG
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

One more from July. I've been swamped and haven't had much time to look through my photos from summer. Hope to catch up over the coming weeks.

This is near Silver Pass. Middle of the night, when I tried to get the Milky Way but all I got was Fresno's lights on low clouds making the Silver Divide appear like something sinister is going down on the other side. The brightest light is just over the Goodale Pass route up from Lone Indian which is out of view to the bottom right

The fires of Mordor