information on JMT

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
don norton
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

information on JMT

Post by don norton »

I hope to hike JMT next year and am doing some planning now. I would like suggestions for traveling on a plane to San Francisco as to how I can check pack without using a cargo bag and I do not want to use tape to secure the straps. Also does anyone have any information as to which is better to fly out of Las Vegas or Las Angles? I do know that the traffic in L A is bad. If anyone can answer either question or both I would much appreciate it. Thanks
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: information on JMT

Post by The Other Tom »

don norton wrote:I hope to hike JMT next year and am doing some planning now. I would like suggestions for traveling on a plane to San Francisco as to how I can check pack without using a cargo bag and I do not want to use tape to secure the straps. Also does anyone have any information as to which is better to fly out of Las Vegas or Las Angles? I do know that the traffic in L A is bad. If anyone can answer either question or both I would much appreciate it. Thanks
Where are you starting....Whitney or Yosemite ?
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

There is a trove of information on the web, for example at .... just a second...ah, there we go :http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rbell/JMTTransport.html. In 2004 my son and I flew in to Sacramento (we had a contact there), rented a car to go to Yosemite (we had a third person who was going to start with us and return to Yosemite to pick up the car), took CREST from Lone Pine to Ridgecrest, rented a car one-way from Ridgecrest to LAX, and flew home on Southwest. If I were to do it alone (that is, without somebody who could return the car to Sacto), I'd probably try taking the train/bus from Sacto to Yosemite. It's supposed to be a very nice trip...