Parking at Agnew meadows for a JMT thru hike from Yosemite

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Jtaylor
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by Jtaylor »

Anyone have any ideas where to park a car so I can pick it up when I finish my JMT section hike from Yosemite? I will be arriving at Agnew meadows on September 14. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Parking at Agnew meadows for a JMT thru hike from Yosemite

Post by maverick »

Hi Jtaylor,

Welcome to HST! What is wrong with the Mammoth Mountain Lodge from where you
take the shuttle down to Agnew Meadows?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jtaylor
Topix Newbie

Post by Jtaylor »

Thanks for the welcome. I have two concerns, 1. I have read the buses stop running after Labor Day so that would might not work so good. If they are running then no problem. Second, I will be ending my hike at Agnew meadows and just want to make sure I won't have any difficulty when I finish the trip.

I spoke with ranger station today and I believe it shouldn't be a problem to park at the Agnew meadows trailhead and leave my car for a week. Anyone have any other ideas or insight?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My bad was thinking of the free weekend shuttle that continues to run till the end
of Sept. You are correct, the shuttle from Mammoth stops running on the first Wed
after Labor Day.
You can use the small backpackers parking at Agnew Meadows, called to confirm since
the campgrounds are closed due to the windstorm damage till 2014.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jtaylor
Topix Newbie

Post by Jtaylor »

Thanks that helps a ton though, my last day will be on Saturday so I could catch the weekend free shuttle if no spaces available when I drive up on the Friday the week before. Thanks so much. I will post TR and pics when I return.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

J,

The free shuttle is between Devils Postpile and Reds Meadow Resort!
http://www.nps.gov/depo/planyourvisit/r ... mation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;