North Lake, South Lake & Lake Sabrina Roads Open

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

North Lake, South Lake & Lake Sabrina Roads Open

Post by maverick »

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/inyo/ ... width=full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Re: North Lake, South Lake & Lake Sabrina Roads Open

Post by markskor »

Lake Sabrina, west of Bishop, is nearly dry, with what little water there is divided between the two natural lakes that existed before the reservoir was built. The water is expected to be low and ice-free for the fishing opener this weekend, and anglers will likely have luck fishing the waters of the deeper second lake.
Two dry years in the Eastern Sierra and a Southern California Edison project that required the lake to be drained has Lake Sabrina west of Bishop looking like an alien moonscape.
Sabrina, a favorite destination in the Sierra, is currently so low that it has reverted back to being two separate natural lakes, and the smaller of the two is nearly dry.
What that means for this weekend’s fishing opener remains to be seen, but Sabrina Lake Boat Landing owner Juanita Apted is optimistic.
“It’s going to look terrible, but it should be good for fishing” for those who are willing to walk, Apted said.
The Inyo Register.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

hmm.. Pika have to move higher again this year. Fish are deeper if they survive. Frogs.. well.

We need some storms.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

rlown wrote:We need some storms.
I do believe winter is over. High pressure is once again moving into California this weekend. The LA basin is supposed to be 70s @ the beaches, 80s in the valleys, & low 100s in the desert.

Curious, I checked out the forecast for the E Sierra. Mammoth is supposed to be in the low 70s, while Bishop is expected to hit the low 90s.

The Whitney board is heating up with trail condition reports. My guess is a lot of people will be up in the mountains this weekend.