Lone Pine to Visalia, July 10th

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
comradewho
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Lone Pine to Visalia, July 10th

Post by comradewho »

Hey all,

I'm trying to get from Lone Pine to Visalia on July 10th (arrive in the evening) so I can get a good nights sleep before shuttling into the HST on July 11th.

I'd be willing to do the driving and pitch in on gas, potentially even cover gas, depending on the MPGs you get - since that's so much cheaper than the shuttle and less of a hassle than a rental car.

If you're coming off of the HST and you need to get back to the Visalia area or Sequoia NP I'd be happy to drive you back provided your departure doesn't conflict with my need to be in Visalia by 8PM. Who wants to drive for hours on end after coming off the HST anyways?

Let me know!

Jason
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lone Pine to Visalia, July 10th

Post by maverick »

Hi Jason,

Welcome to HST! Wish you luck in finding someone doing this hike, and at the same
time.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ulu
Topix Novice

Post by ulu »

I'm thinking of doing this trip around the end of jun-ish (retirement present to myself), and I could potentially need a ride to tulare at this time. Want to pm me your cell?
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Do you know its relatively easy (and cheap) to do this trip via CREST (Lone Pine 9.40am-Mojave 12.05pm) and Greyhound bus (Mojave McDonalds 2.00pm-Visalia 6.00pm)?
You are also fortunate with your choice of dates because CREST only runs Mon/Wed/Fri from Mammoth to Lancaster and July 10 is a Wednesday.
Of course you do still need to get back down from Whitney Portal to Lone Pine if you leave your car up there.
The hermit
Topix Regular

Post by The hermit »

everyone wants to know how to make the hst shuttle easy(myself included). Public trans. seems like the way to go. We almost need a dedicated sub topic. One page w/ all the phone numbers/websites to check when planning your hike.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

The hermit wrote:everyone wants to know how to make the hst shuttle easy(myself included). Public trans. seems like the way to go. We almost need a dedicated sub topic. One page w/ all the phone numbers/websites to check when planning your hike.
It seems like someone had talked about putting something like that together last spring. Rogue, was it you?
Last edited by gary c. on Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

Of course you would want to do the shuttle at the beginning and hike to your car :thumbsup:

I was thinking last week traveling around the sierra and finding all sorts of lodges and eateries hidden away, it would also be nice to have a comprehensive list of traveler services like lodges, campgrounds, eateries, laudry, showers ect...
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

The hermit wrote:everyone wants to know how to make the hst shuttle easy(myself included). Public trans. seems like the way to go. We almost need a dedicated sub topic.
What I would do is as follows (note that you need a Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday permit start date for the HST to make this work):

1. Drive to Lone Pine 2 days before permit start date
2. Stay at Whitney Portal Hostel in Lone Pine (http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on Sun/Tues/Thu night. Book in advance in mid summer
3. That afternoon leave your hiking gear at the hostel, drive up to the portal, leave your car in the parking lot and hitch back down. You will be clean and unencumbered, both big advantages (also only one person in your group needs to go).
4. The following morning catch the CREST and Greyhound buses (as noted previously) via Mojave to Visalia
5. Stay the night in Visalia.
6. Next morning get the 6am Sequoia shuttle to Giant Forest (pre book this!) (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/p ... tation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
7. Use the free in park shuttle to get your permit from Lodgepole (make sure it's held for late collection though you should just about be there in time), then take the shuttle back to Crescent Meadow to start your hike. You should be on the trail by late morning (11 or 12).

It's a little time consuming, but the cheapest option if you want a car available when you finish.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Postscript: if coming from out of state, fly to LA. Catch Amtrak to Visalia, stay the night there then get the shuttle the next morning as above. You will need to hitch down from the Portal with your gear at the end and time your exit for a Sun/Tue/Thu, but then the Crest bus the next morning connects in Lancaster to get you back to LA.
comradewho
Topix Newbie

Post by comradewho »

Hey all,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Previously I had a hiking partner, which made the trip easier. We did a one way rental to Visalia from our starting location and caravaned to Whitney Portal, dropping off one of our cars. Then we took the rental to Visalia and when we came out at the end of the hike our car was waiting for us.

This time I'm going alone so that method is unavailable.

Without connecting with somebody directly for a ride on the 10th, public transit seems like my best option. However, connecting with somebody will still save me both time, money, hassle, and energy before the start of the trip.