Sacramento to Mammoth Lakes and back

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sacramento to Mammoth Lakes and back

Post by FeetFirst »

Late August, leaving Sacramento around 6pm. Which route to take?

This is the route that makes sense to me when I look at a map:
1) Sacramento > Hwy 50 east > 89 south (at Meyers) > 395 south > 203/Main St. east into Mammoth Lakes.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Sacr ... =1&t=m&z=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the quickest route Google Maps suggest:
2) Sacramento > Hwy 50 east > 89 south (at Meyers) > 88 east on Carson Pass Hwy into NV > cut over to US 395 via 756-Dresslerville Rd/Riverview RD > 395 south > 203/Main St. east into Mammoth Lakes.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Sacr ... ls&t=m&z=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it seems like Google doesn't like the stretch of Hwy 89 between Hwy 88 and US 395; is there a reason? Thanks.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sacramento to Mammoth Lakes and back

Post by TahoeJeff »

I'd go with option 1. Highway 89 between Markleevile and 395 can be pretty slow with its steep twisty turns.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

Hi FeetFirst,

I regularly drive on the 89 from Meyers to the 395. From Myers it takes 30 minutes to get to Markleeville and then another 30 minutes from Markleeville to the 395. As Tahoe Jeff points out, the last 18 miles of the drive over Monitor Pass requires the driver to stay focused. At times on this 18 mile segment I have never encountered another car. The scenery is great. Watch out for bike riders in the early summer training for the Death Ride (July), deer in the early fall, and snow and ice in the late fall (even if the road is still "open").

Actually the toughest part of your drive might be getting clear of the Sacramento traffic at 6 pm, particularly if you leave on Friday.

Drive safe,

Jim F
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks, guys. Luckily I'm leaving Thursday, rather than Friday, so traffic out of Sacramento should at least be bearable. Hwy 89 it is!
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.