Hetchy Closure

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Hetchy Closure

Post by Ozark Flip »

Not too far from the Hetchy compound half the road slid down the hill. This is surprising because the road is actually an old railroad grade that has lasted for many years without issue. Gate closed at Mather. Hetchy, USGS and the park service are the only ones allowed access. I have lagged on reporting this until I had some idea of the duration of the closure. Well, repairs are extensive and it will be a very long time before the road is open to the public again. I wanted to post this for those who enjoy the early season rambles out of the Hetchy area (Old Ranger, Wandering Daisy, etc.). Stay tuned, but sadly if you are considering Hetchy, you will need to choose another TH.

Flip
Last edited by Ozark Flip on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetchy Closure

Post by maverick »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ozark Flip
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ozark Flip »

Thanks Mav - never been on the Transportation Board before.

I will try to update this thread with road repair updates.

Flip
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

The Yosemite NP website road current conditions page shows Hetch Hetchy road open and I just got off the phone with Ranger Rob and he confirmed that Hetch Hetchy road is open (8am - 7pm). Not that I don't beleive them ;) , but can anyone else verify this?
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I think it is open, I did see on the Yosemite website about the closure. Now it says open, so I tend to think it is open for buisness :thumbsup: