Mammoth Shuttles in September?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mammoth Shuttles in September?

Post by jgaffney »

I'm planning a 3-night trip on the JMT, beginning at Tuolumne Meadows and ending at either Devils Postpile or Agnew Meadows on Sept 23. I've researched a hostel in Mammoth where I will spend the night before riding the YARTS bus back to Tuolumne Meadows.

I'm worried because all of the shuttle info that I've seen for the Mammoth area pretty much shuts down after Labor Day and shifts over to the winter schedule. Does anyone know how I can get a ride from the trailhead into town if I arrive midafternoon?

Thanks.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Mammoth Shuttles in September?

Post by gary c. »

This link might help.
http://climber.org/data/shuttles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Other then private shuttles you could also hitch hike which is not too difficult in that area. Or worst case you hike over Mammoth Pass into town.

Last summer on my way back in I walked from the town village center to Mammoth Lakes and then over the pass. It's 3 miles from the village center where shuttles run all year to the trail head and it's under 5 miles over the pass to Reds Meadow.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

I guess private shuttles or hitching would work if the road is open. Otherwise you'd have to hike out.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

Thanks for all the tips. On another forum, someone recommended hiking all the way to Red's Meadow and getting a ride with one of the store employees when they drive into town. I have to make sure the store is still open the day that I show up. Otherwise, I'll plan on thumbing it.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The store normally stays open until October but when I was there the guy wanted 50 dollars for the ride. You can split it for sure but walking was just fine.