drive time from Fresno

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
sleepy
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

drive time from Fresno

Post by sleepy »

What's the drive time from Fresno to Road's End in King's Canyon? Are the campgrounds there crowded? Sadly, I'm thinking Sunday before Labor day. Heading ups Bubb's to East Lake after coming from Fresno. Thanks in advance.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

The drive time to Roads End from Fresno is a little over two hours. I haven't used the campgrounds there but there always appears to be room for more people? East Lake is a great destination.
sleepy
Topix Novice

Post by sleepy »

thanks, Shawn. We are getting very excited. Now, we aren't mountaineers, but we want to hit some high spots from East Lake. Suggestions? Seems like there are many options.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Yes, it's about 2 hrs to road's end plus or minus (depending on where in Fresno you measure from). I myself have never stayed in the campgrounds near the road's end, so I can't say anything about availability. My guess is that you'd find space there, given that surprisingly few people really visit the canyon.

As for the East Lake area, East Lake itself is nice if you enjoy fishing. It is one of the few High Sierra fisheries dominated by browns. In fact they've reproduced so well and there are so many of them that they don't tend to grow to the whopping size one commonly associates with the species (average about 10", tend to top out at about 12"). There are a few big rainbows cruising around in there, too, to keep things interesting (caught an 18-incher there in 1994). Lake Reflection is more scenic, but has smaller fish (goldens, rainbows, hybrids, toping out about 10"). Reflection is aptly named and is justifiably famed for its beauty. If you really want to tie into some goldens, try Golden Lake that is teeming with medium sized goldens (topping out at 11 to 12"). The main peak folks bag from East Lake is Mt. Brewer. A class 2 route heads up the east ridge from East Lake. This features a pretty steep headwall at its top, which can be hairy if it is covered with snow (as it was when I climbed it in May once), but think the snow at this spot should be gone by the weekend before Labor Day. Above the headwall it is merely a scramble up talus of the south slope to the top. Mt Brewer looks magnificent from East Lake. I hope this helps.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sleepy
Topix Novice

Post by sleepy »

gb,
thanks for the info. I've been debating the fishing, as it has been many moons since I've flayed one. however, the appeal of freshly cooked trout over a campfire (since, I understand fires are permitted at East Lake) is neigh overwhelming. fires, solitude and scenery seem like a great combo. add some brookies and well...