Stash a car in Mammoth or Bishop?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
survey2700
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Stash a car in Mammoth or Bishop?

Post by survey2700 »

I am looking to find a good place to stash a car in Mammoth (or maybe Bishop) during our 10 day hiking trip on the SHR from Bishop to Mammoth, Sept 11 thru Sept 21. Anybody have any good ideas?? We are willing to pay a little bit if neccesary.....
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Stash a car in Mammoth or Bishop?

Post by maverick »

Have parked my car several times in the parking lot from where the shuttle starts
from (Mountain Center/Lodge) down to the Devil's Postpile NM/Agnew Meadows
and have never had any problems.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
jfelectron
Topix Acquainted

Post by jfelectron »

I did this last year and discovered that Bishop has 72hr parking laws. We ended up parking at North Lake TH and taking the YARTS/ESTA buses back from Tuolemne Meadows. Once in Bishop we called someone on the list at Wilson's sporting goods and offered $30 to take us back to our car. As Mav said you can park at Mammoth lodge for minimal fee and then take buses and hitch to the start. It really just depends which end you want more traveling on.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
survey2700
Topix Novice

Post by survey2700 »

Hey, thanks for getting back to me, the ski lodge is a good idea for Mammoth and I did not know about any kind of list at Wilsons sporting goods. Where is Wilsons located and what is the deal with the list? Can I call ahead of time to set up a ride or do you just call when you get there and hope someone is available? Leaving the car at the South Lake trailhead would be much easier as long as I can get a ride back out there to pick it up later.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

224 North Main Street Bishop, CA 93514
(760) 873-7520
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
survey2700
Topix Novice

Post by survey2700 »

Called Wilsons in Bishop and they only had one shuttle company name. They also said that there is no long term parking right at South Lake. Can you leave a car at any of the other campgrounds out towards South Lake?? Is there any other place to stash a car for 10 days in Bishop, maybe at the K-Mart parking lot where the ESTA bus stop is?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.....
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I just got back from my trip from Bishop to Florence Lake. I found a ride in Bishop from a guy named Jamie. He was very dependable. I don't have his # right now, but I will post it later tonight, or you can PM me.
Oubliet
Topix Acquainted

Post by Oubliet »

Last summer, we set up a shuttle and left 2 vehicles parked at South Lake TH parking lot for 10 days without any problem.

I don't think you can park long-term at the campground lots.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

We stashed a car at the grocery store in Mammoth for 5 days. We didn't start to worry about it until we finished the hike. It ended up fine, but I don't know if I would do that again...much less for 10 days. You won't have a problem leaving a car @ any trailhead parking.