$60 for a ride from Lone Pine to Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BenT
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

$60 for a ride from Lone Pine to Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead

Post by BenT »

I need a ride from the ranger station in Lone Pine to the Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead on the morning of June 18th at 11:30am. Just one guy with his pack. I'll pay $60.

Thanks!
Ben
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: $60 for a ride from Lone Pine to Horseshoe Meadows Trailhead

Post by maverick »

Hi Ben,

Welcome to HST!
Just called Bob at Whitney Shuttle Service at 760-876-1915 and they quoted me
$165, so if that is something you can live with, and your on a tight schedule than it is
an option (though an expensive one).
Also try High Sierra Shuttle at 760-872-3950, may be a little cheaper.
If you are on a more flexible schedule personally I would try to hitch a ride just
have a sign with you destination written on it.
You may even find somebody picking up a permit and heading to Horseshoe Meadows
that same morning.
Also try placing your post on the Whitney Portal Store's message board. Good luck!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Hi Ben,

I found a guy named Dave Sheldon (760-876-8232) who offers shuttle service between east side Sierra trail heads. He was recommended on another site. For $80 he agreed to shuttle me and a buddy from Whitney Portal to Horseshoe Meadows on June 21st. This is my first time trying him out, so I can't offer any personal experience. He seemed like a good guy on the phone, so I booked a shuttle for later in the season from South Lake to Onion Valley for $140. Maybe he can help you out. . .

Good luck.
toejam
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by toejam »

Is it really that hard to thumb a ride? I'd think there would be lots of pickups & SUVs headed up there that would be willing to pick you up.