High Sierra Trail Key Exchange

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail Key Exchange

Post by maverick »

Nothing extensive just basics, would not rely on it for resupplying your food needs.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mshields
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by mshields »

longri wrote:
mshields wrote:We stayed in a hotel the prior evening; taking the 6:00am shuttle put us on the trail by 10:00am.

The entire trip cost (including hotel) was $150 per person with six of us.
I haven't checked personally but was told by another party that the cost to shuttle six people from one trailhead to the other is $750. That's less than the 6 X $150 you guys paid, and faster. If this is correct why didn't you just shuttle the whole way?
Longri,

To answer your question, there are several reasons I feel the method we used was advantageous:

-The $150.00 per/person included door to door costs. The shuttling service is only trailhead to trailhead. It is a 5 1/2hr. drive from our home to the Crescent Meadow Trailhead (11 hr. round trip) Additionally none of us had access to a vehicle that would fit six backpackers w/gear. Once you factor in the additional gas there is no longer an advantage under the $750.00 shuttling option.

- Getting a good nights rest at the hotel with a hearty breakfast is a nice start to the trip; the $150 also included this. I suppose in the end this is just a personal preference. Considering the 10:00am start time at the trailhead; without hotel, I would probably have to leave my house around 3:00am in the morning to achieve the same start. I realize a backpackers campground is another option, but I actually had to work until 5:00pm the day before I hit the traihead.

I suppose if someone lived much closer than I did (i.e. Three Rivers etc.) the other option might make more sense.

Last, I was wondering if you knew the service that will shuttle for $750.00. I believe I was quoted around $875.00

Thanks
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Bump.

If anyone's interested in a High Sierra Trail key exchange during 2013, please let me know. Thanks.

Geoff
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.