Roads Open

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Roads Open

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Access to west side trail heads is opening up. Went up above Bass Lake yesterday to the Granite Creek area and both Beasore and Sky Ranch roads are open allowing access to the Ansel Adams TH's like Norris, Fernandez, Chiquito, Isberg, etc.. Saw 3 cars at the Isberg TH. The road to the Quartz Mtn TH (up Sky Ranch) is not quite open for most of us yet. There's still a snow drift just past the Iron Lakes OHV Route that I didn't want to try and cross in my vehicle (Durango 4x4), but someone whose a bit more determined and has a higher clearance vehicle could make it. Someone already had, but the ruts they left were deeper than I figured I could make, so I opted for a retreat to the Fresno Dome camp ground where I had lunch before heading over to Granite Creek.

Weather was nice complete with an afternoon thunder storm and fishing the small creeks of the area was good for small brookies to 10". I saw another bear along the road, my 3rd in two trips the last two weekends. Always cool!!! Mosquito's weren't bad at all. Likely just about to go off as things melt out. Mostly a 0 on the HST Scale, but about a 1 along the boggy parts of the creeks.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead