Highway 140 into Yosemite

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Robert
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Highway 140 into Yosemite

Post by Robert »

The following is an update as posted on the Ansel Adams gallery newsletter.

Highway 140 Update - Getting to Yosemite

Although site conditions on Highway 140, one of four routes into Yosemite National Park, are changing continuously, the road remains closed west of El Portal due to rock slide. The road will remain closed indefinitely, and there is concern that more rock could slide and dam or partially dam the Merced River. Motels and campgrounds in El Portal are open, and accessible through the park. Updates are available at http://www.inciweb.org/incident/236/ and http://www.nps.gov/yose/now/conditions.htm. Highways 41 (south entrance) and 120 (north entrance) are open, although added traffic from the 140 closure will increase delays at the gates. You will have a shorter wait if you avoid peak gate traffic hours of 10AM to 2PM.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Wow! I hadn't heard about this, but I'm sure glad you posted it. I'm heading down to Yosemite valley next weekend, and I've always taken 140. Guess I'd better take 120 this time. After a very long day of driving, the last thing I want to do it backtrack because of a road closure.

Thanks!
Robert
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robert »

Just glad I could help.