Airport beta for JMT

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

BSquared wrote:A really good source of information (though a tad dated) is Here: http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~rbell/JMTTransport.html.

I went through all this two years ago (egad, now going on three: got to get out there again!!!) when planning our JMT trip. For entry from the north end, the best combination of close and cheap is Sacramento (served by Southwest). I understand there is good train/bus transportation from Sacramento to Yosemite, but we had a friend who was just doing a short part of the trip with us, so we rented a car. Reno also works reasonably well, but it's usually more expensive to fly to. You can take a couple of different buses from there to Lee Vining, and then YARTS from there to the Valley.

At the south end, the winning combination turned out to be taking the CREST bus from Lone Pine to Ridgecrest and then doing a one-way rental from there to LAX. There is no one-way surcharge, because so many people go one-way from LAX to Ridgecrest. It is possible to take public transportation all the way from Lone Pine to LAX, but there are numerous transfers and potential delays -- there are many posts on the Whitney Portal BBS about this.
I think this might be what the person was asking about. Thanks! :D
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robert
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Robert »

If I were flying in from out of state, I probably would fly into/out of Reno. After my JMT/Yosemite visit, I would stop by South Lake Tahoe for a day or two and catch a hot shower and a descent meal. :D
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Unless I'm misreading the schedule, though, it takes a minimum of two full days to get from Lone Pine to Reno by CREST bus, which is why LAX was better for us. If one flies Soutwest there is no difference between round-trip and one-way, and I think many other airlines allow an "open jaw" roundtrip (for example, Baltimore to Sacramento and then "return" from LAX to Baltimore). It's really a pain that there isn't an easy way to get from Lone Pine to Reno (or even Lee Vining) via public transportation in one day!