Tioga Pass opening date

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tioga Pass opening date

Post by Cross Country »

June 30.

Do you really think Mark would buy ME a drink?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If you backpack with mark, he will buy you a drink.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

What is the definition of "open" for Tioga Pass? I recall plowing is done and it is open several days for park personnel use before they let the general public. My guess is June 15 for first general public car access.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

I am thinking July 4th. Terrible snow year.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Last Update: May 16, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews started at Yosemite Creek and ended at an avalanche zone, plowing 1.6 miles. Crews will attempt to go through the avalanche zone today, conditions permitting.

Glacier Point Road: No update (since the last update previously posted)

url: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Last Update: May 19, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews plowed the Big Oak Flat Road due to new snowfall, plowed 18-20 inches of new snow on the Tioga Road, then plowed 0.4 miles from previous point (now at Porcupine Summit). Snow depth is 11 feet.

Additionally, Mono County Public Works and Mammoth Mountain crews have begun plowing from the east side and are now at Mono/Parker Pass Trailhead.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Last Update: May 20, 2011

Tioga Road: Yesterday, crews plowed to Porcupine Creek Trailhead (two miles from previous point).

Additionally, Mono County Public Works and Mammoth Mountain crews have begun plowing from the east side and are now at Mono/Parker Pass Trailhead.

Nice photos of how much snow there is still on the Glacier Point road - though it sounds like they plan to open it for Memorial Day weekend.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I want to revise my guess to July 2nd.

tom
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

posted today - looks like Glacier Point Rd

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.ph ... stcount=64" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yosehiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by yosehiker »

fishmonger: The first photo you posted does indeed look like Glacier Point and maybe be current.

The next four all look like they were taken at Badger Pass area in March after the heavy snowfall that closed the park for a week. The heavy snow in the trees at least indicates it wasn't recently as there hasn't been a heavy snow for weeks now. The plows just got to Glacier point in the last week or so, so it seems it can't be Glacier Point and the building in one of the photos does look remarkably like the A-Frame at Badger Pass.

As someone mentioned previously, there are a few pics on the nps site currently of the Glacier Pt Rd at: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;