Tioga Pass opening date

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tioga Pass opening date

Post by rlown »

The webcam isn't paid for by the park. Click on the top link on the webcam page to see who. It's a research cam, not just for our enjoyment, but i miss it. Esp, on big snow years.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just called and YARTS busses between Yosemite and Mammoth start this Saturday (weekends only)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Now the NPS site also has it posted.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Re-reading all the posts here, looks like may have committed another faux pas (so what else is new?).
Mike, our beloved OldRanger...(yes, that cranky old guy) posted:

"Based on the latest report my guess is that the road will be open for the weekend of June 18-19. However, only the gas station and maybe the wilderness office will be open. My guess is that Campgrounds and lodge/store will be open about July 1. I think there is real economic incentive to open the route for Mono County businesses, regardless limited opportunities in the park for the average visitor."

Agreed that he did hit it on the nose and do not know how I missed it...probably because he posted way late and used the shotgun approach...but being one to always correct my mistakes...
We have a new wiener!!!!!! or not. Maybe co-wieners best?

Sorry if this caused any dismay to anyone.
I owe you both a drink it seems.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

um, I think OR waited too long to actually give a prediction. re-read..
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Oh, for pity's sake, give Mike his hot dog! :nod:
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

only fair thing to do is give them both the blue ribbon. Mike has had enough hot dogs.. ;)
bheiser1
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by bheiser1 »

Wow, and they say still 2 feet of snow at Tuolomne Meadows, which I assume (?) means even more at higher elevations. Sounds like snowshoeing in June! (well unless one is on packed trails), heheh :)
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by tim »

Shouldn't we have a sweepstake on when Tioga Pass will finally close for the winter?
In the last 30 years, the latest it has ever closed is Dec 11 (1995):
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/seasonal.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

However, it looks like this year it could be open until Christmas weekend, because the current forecast has basically no precipitation for the next 2 weeks. I'm hoping that it will still be open when we're up there the weekend of Dec 17.
The Sentinel Dome webcam is completely free of snow, and when I flew down to San Diego this week I couldn't see any snow in the Sierra, except for a small amount near Whitney.

At this rate it will soon be time to plan those fantasy early season trips (in my head at least) \:D/
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Is it closed yet? I suspect so.