Yosemite parking

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
odd man out
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Yosemite parking

Post by odd man out »

I was hoping to drive to Yosemite valley, take the YARTS bus to Mammoth Lakes and hike from Devil's Postpile NM back to the car. The NPS web site says that parking is available near Curry village for backpackers with wilderness permits.

But, since I am starting at Devil's Postpile NM, wouldn't I get a permit from the NF office in Mammoth?
If so, would I be allowed to park in Yosemite valley?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Yosemite parking

Post by AlmostThere »

You'll be allowed to park in Curry Village or at trailhead parking. I don't believe they bother to check cars for anything other than coolers, cups or other things that might entice bears to break into your car (you will get a stiff fine for a bear break-in if it happens so it's worth cleaning your car). There are cars sitting in the lot covered with grime, obviously been there a good long time.

However, YARTS will be running only for weekends in September and not at all after that. Not sure when you intend to go, but I'd check on all shuttle schedules if you haven't already - YARTs, the shuttle to Reds/Agnew, all of 'em. I'm sure the one to Mammoth Ski Resort will run.
odd man out
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Yosemite parking

Post by odd man out »

Thanks much. Was thinking ahead to next summer.