Public Transit and the JMT

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Public Transit and the JMT

Post by BSquared »

Yeah, but I'm old and ugly... :p
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

When hitching on 395, always show a sign/destination...then with a backpack, it's easy.

In your case though B², maybe add something to the effect that you know Snow Nymph...gotta help.
(I see you get to borrow her Expedition...)

excellent use of our community everybody!
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

"Snow Nymph?!?!?!? Hahahahahah....Yeah, right, I'll bet you're a friend of Barak and Michelle's, too, huh hippy? And Jerry Garcia. I don't give no rides to da likes of youse old smelly hippies -- take a walk!" :hippy:

-Vroooooommmm.....!

:(
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

:lol: Markskor!

one time i was hitching a ride w/pctpacker (60-something y/o back then) and we couldn't get a ride. it was hot so he sat in the shade and someone pulled over. :unibrow:

B2, i can't get to your pm. Can you send e-mail? sierrariders_at_socal_dot_rr_dot_com
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Looking for that one older Snowy picture...You remember? - the one with her in blue shorts...showing off the well-formed booty. LOL...I knew it would come back one day to haunt her. Possibly could be used today by B² as a traveling aid - hitchhiking tool...on his road sign.
Should be in the contest too...priceless.
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Getting back to serious matters... :\

I just discovered that CREST no longer goes to Ridgecrest, but it does go all the way to Lancaster. And, I can fly out of Burbank. This suggests a ridiculously easy scenario: CREST to the Lancaster Metrolink station, Metrolink from Lancaster to the Downtown Burbank Station, transfer to another train to Burbank/Bob Hope Airport. Anybody on this board done that? Maybe it hasn't been possible until just recently; I'm not sure when CREST changed their routing.

-B2
Last edited by BSquared on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

B2,
I'm not sure if the train runs to the airport itself but I assume that you have checked that out already. I just wanted to mention another possibility you should check into. The AVTA runs a lot of busses from Lancaster down to the SFV and LA area every day. They may have one that fits your schedule better and would probably be cheaper.
Gary C.

Be sure and look at "Commuter Services". I don't see anything about Burbank Airport but it wouldn't hurt to call them.

http://www.avta.com/
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
dharter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by dharter »

BSquared,
The is an intercity bus that includes Inyokern and Ridgecrest on Monday, Wednesday, Friday - here's the url to for the schedule

http://www.co.kern.ca.us/roads/pdf/Moja ... ecrest.pdf

Also, if you are renting a car from the Avis guy at Ridgecrest - located at the Carriage Inn, he may be willing to run over to Inyokern to pick you up. It's a small operation and he wasn't too busy when I was there.
Doug