Best way from Sacramento to Carson City ?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Best way from Sacramento to Carson City ?

Post by The Other Tom »

Actually, I need to go from the Sacramento airport to Moundhouse, NV (just east of Carson City on HWY 50). Basically, there are two ways to go...I-80 through Reno, or HWY 50. Google maps lists the driving time for both at around 3 hours. I'm looking for some locals with first hand experience as to which is the better route. If it matters, we'll be driving on a Monday, starting at around 7AM.
paula53
Topix Regular

Re: Best way from Sacramento to Carson City ?

Post by paula53 »

I live in Carson City, and have made the drive several times. Take highway 50. It is the shortest, and most direst route to Carson, and Douglas county. You don't want to go 80; Reno traffic can be very bad, and the trip thru Washoe Valley (395) can be hazardous because of the wind.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

To get to Moundhouse, take highway 50, at the bottom of the hill comming down from Tahoe, turn left into 395. Follow 395 into Carson City. At the intersection of Williams and 50 (will show a sign for Fallon) turn right at the ampm station. It is a short drive to Moundhouse.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Thanks, Paula. Hwy 50 it is !