Fresno -> Florence Lake???

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
waypoint
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Fresno -> Florence Lake???

Post by waypoint »

Hi,
Does anyone know if there are any transportation services that could get me to/from Fresno and Florence Lake? I'm thinking of entering or exitting there if some kind of transportation is available. Is it hitchable??

Thanks

P.S. Where do you get Wilderness Permits for this entrance?
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Fresno -> Florence Lake???

Post by oldranger »

I don't think there is any transportation up that way. Check Sierra National Forest website for info on permits.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

not hitchable, unless you have a lot of patience.

Like I mentioned in another post - you can put an ad into the Fresno Craigslist and offer gas plus a fee - you should have takers pretty quickly.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

fishmonger wrote:not hitchable, unless you have a lot of patience.

Like I mentioned in another post - you can put an ad into the Fresno Craigslist and offer gas plus a fee - you should have takers pretty quickly.
Dang, fishmonger! You seem pretty bitter about that one experience. FWIW, I think it may have just been bad luck when you were there. I have myself hitched and picked up hitchers many, many times over the past 20-25 years between Huntington, Edison, and Florence. Never a problem. And that's my main Sierra haunting ground.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

ERIC wrote:
fishmonger wrote:not hitchable, unless you have a lot of patience.

Dang, fishmonger! You seem pretty bitter about that one experience. FWIW, I think it may have just been bad luck when you were there. I have myself hitched and picked up hitchers many, many times over the past 20-25 years between Huntington, Edison, and Florence. Never a problem. And that's my main Sierra haunting ground.
sure glad others have better luck up there. I just wouldn't base any time sensitive schedule on getting a ride. My experience of hitch-hiking across the entire Sierra region betwen 1988 and 2008 has been less hit and more miss.

I'll try to get a ride from Tuolumne Meadows to Mono Pass trailhead this summer - last time I tried this in 1990 and had to walk the entire road. Maybe I'm too scary looking... :unibrow: