What do you drive?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What do you drive?

Post by rayfound »

I recently changed vehicles to get something with *decent* ground clearance for he forest service roads here in so-cal and up in the Sierras. its not the perfect 4x4 car crushing machine, but its awd, comfy inside for up to 5 adults, AWD, averages 18-20mpg, should be reliable, and was bought for under $9,000 out the door (that last bit is crucial because the main reason i was getting rid of my 2007 Subaru WRX, was to eliminate a monthly payment, and $9,000 was about how much equity I had left over when I sold her).

I give you, the *Green Machine* a 2001 Toyota Highlander, with about 80,000 miles.

Oh, and the exterior came with enough "pre-scratching" that I don't worry about the branches leaving the pin-stripes down the sides.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: What do you drive?

Post by rlown »

1997 Dodge 1 Ton 4x4 TurboDiesel. Holds up to 6 people and more stuff than we can possibly pack in, and i still get 19mpg plus plenty of power over the passes with the Turbo. Paid for and super reliable.

Russ

Note: it's also equipped to haul hay for my horses and my camper for more mellow trips with the wife.