What do you drive?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
hikerbob
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: What do you drive?

Post by hikerbob »

Well, I used to drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. This was great vehicle. I've blazed the most severe blizzards and crawled up unimaginable jeep roads but on Fathers Day just past, we hike and skied Bull Run Peak at the end of Pacific Valley off of HWY 4. Returned to the jeep to see this...
P6150060.jpg
Yes, Insured. Now I have Subaru Outback. Better MPG and 5 speed. Seems to be a fun vehicle.

Hiker Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Ford escape Hybrid. 2WD, because it gets better gas mileage, but still has the ground clearance of the 4WD. It gets about 33 mpg, and has been great so far (25K miles)
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

I recently changed vehicles to get something with *decent* ground clearance for he forest service roads here in so-cal and up in the Sierras. its not the perfect 4x4 car crushing machine, but its awd, comfy inside for up to 5 adults, AWD, averages 18-20mpg, should be reliable, and was bought for under $9,000 out the door (that last bit is crucial because the main reason i was getting rid of my 2007 Subaru WRX, was to eliminate a monthly payment, and $9,000 was about how much equity I had left over when I sold her).

I give you, the *Green Machine* a 2001 Toyota Highlander, with about 80,000 miles.

Oh, and the exterior came with enough "pre-scratching" that I don't worry about the branches leaving the pin-stripes down the sides.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

1997 Dodge 1 Ton 4x4 TurboDiesel. Holds up to 6 people and more stuff than we can possibly pack in, and i still get 19mpg plus plenty of power over the passes with the Turbo. Paid for and super reliable.

Russ

Note: it's also equipped to haul hay for my horses and my camper for more mellow trips with the wife.