Tioga Road Closure 11/19 at 3 pm

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Tioga Road Closure 11/19 at 3 pm

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
The first hint of winter is on the way! As a result, Tioga Road (continuation of Highway 120 through the park) and Glacier Point Road will temporarily close due to an incoming storm on Tuesday, November 19 at 3 pm. These closures could last several days or longer. Call 209/372-0200 (then 1, 1) to check on updates.

US National Weather Service Hanford California has issued a winter storm watch for several inches of snow above 6,000 feet (but just a slight amount of rain in Yosemite Valley). You can check forecasts for different areas of the park at https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/weathermap.htm.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Tioga Road Closure 11/19 at 3 pm

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I cannot find any current information on the Yosemite NP website regarding the status of plowing of Tioga Road. I know all roads in Yosemite are now closed, but are they still planning on plowing?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

To a certain extent, if the roads are closed, then it doesn't matter too much on whether they are plowing or not.

On a normal year, they get started plowing early. However, it doesn't make good sense to start too early. Instead, if they just let the warmer weather and sunlight melt the snow naturally, it reduces the amount of plowing work, which is expensive. One of the few reasons that they attempt to open the Tioga Road earlier is to help the economy on the East Side.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

From the backcountry skiers group, the road is plowed and snow free from Lee Vining to the park entrance. Closed to cars, but open to bikes & hikers at Poole Powerplant road. Inside the park, the road still has snow on it.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.