Ebbetts Pass / Sonora Open 5/30/19

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Ebbetts Pass / Sonora Open 5/30/19

Post by maverick »

Caltrans:

It was a wild and wet winter of 2018-19, one that dropped loads of snow on highways in the Sierra Nevada. District 10 maintenance crews have been busy clearing the mountain passes, opening the door for tourists to visit the scenic spots.

We've removed the winter snow, cleared the debris, made necessary repairs and opened State Route 4 (SR-4)/Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway at noon today. Here's a quick video of our crew clearing the final feet of snow from the road.
Here's a photo from the very top of Sonora Pass that was taken by our counterparts at Caltrans District 9 this week... you can see more photos on their Facebook page.

District 9 manages the east side of Sonora Pass while the Caltrans, District 10 crew out of Long Barn manages the western slope.

Each spring crews from either side start the process to clear the snow from the route which is closed each winter due to the steep slopes and terrain that makes it impossible to keep open year 'round.

We're hoping to get the route open later today (Thursday, May 30, 2019) for the summer season. Stay tuned for updates on when our crews actually open the gates!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Ebbetts Pass / Sonora 5/30/19

Post by SSSdave »

That will have bc skiers hitting the road this weekend with the deepest early access in years. I was up there a day last May but have put my skiing to rest this season though the notion is attractive.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Ebbetts Pass / Sonora 5/30/19

Post by c9h13no3 »

SSSdave wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:09 pm That will have bc skiers hitting the road this weekend
I'll be there :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.