Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Parking a camper trailer at trailheads

Post by robow8 »

I'm guessing that the glass on your trailer is tempered glass, as opposed to laminated glass. Tempered glass is what backglasses and doorglasses are typically made of. It's heat tempered or hardened, making it harder to break. When is does break, it breaks into lots of small pieces. Laminated glass is what windshields are made out of. It's two pieces of glass with a vinyl sheet laminated between the two glass layers. It breaks easier than tempered glass, but because of the vinyl, it generally does not fall apart after breaking. There should be a "bug" on the glass, a small bit of printing with some info on it. It may say "tempered" or "laminated" on it to identify what kind of glass it is.
maiathebee
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maiathebee »

robow8 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 7:51 pm I'm guessing that the glass on your trailer is tempered glass, as opposed to laminated glass. Tempered glass is what backglasses and doorglasses are typically made of. It's heat tempered or hardened, making it harder to break. When is does break, it breaks into lots of small pieces. Laminated glass is what windshields are made out of. It's two pieces of glass with a vinyl sheet laminated between the two glass layers. It breaks easier than tempered glass, but because of the vinyl, it generally does not fall apart after breaking. There should be a "bug" on the glass, a small bit of printing with some info on it. It may say "tempered" or "laminated" on it to identify what kind of glass it is.
As I wrote, and from the builder's website:
Q: What kind of glass is in the front/back windows?
A: The front window is safety glass, just like your auto windshield. The back window is tempered glass.
Of course, that's a bit ambiguous as they don't say if it's laminated or not, but they *do* say it's "just like your auto windshield" and differentiate it from the tempered glass of the small back window. So. Thanks everyone for the glass advice. My main question wasn't about bears or wildlife concerns, but about legality, convention, and etiquette. I welcome any advice about those topics.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Also, in case anyone is still concerned about the ruggedness of my trailer, here are photos of a trailer that had an encounter with a Jeep. I'd say the trailer came out on top.
49289654_10113073800820290_5627794432196608_o.jpg
50431409_10113073803594730_6202484030181474304_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

maiathebee wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:15 pm Thanks everyone for the glass advice. My main question wasn't about bears or wildlife concerns, but about legality, convention, and etiquette. I welcome any advice about those topics.
Seemed like a simple inquiry to me, but I never realized there were so many glass enthusiasts on this forum!

So, how much did this new beauty of yours set you back?

John
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

From the pic's of that collision, looks like the glass held up pretty well. :thumbsup:
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

John Harper wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 am So, how much did this new beauty of yours set you back?
base price is $18k, lots of options can change the final damage https://vistabule.com/pricing
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

maiathebee wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 am
John Harper wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:39 am So, how much did this new beauty of yours set you back?
base price is $18k, lots of options can change the final damage https://vistabule.com/pricing
So 120 nights and you'll break even (assuming $150 hotel rooms)? I suppose it cuts down on the driving to & from the trailhead as well, does some other cool things.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

c9h13no3 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:41 am
maiathebee wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 am
So 120 nights and you'll break even (assuming $150 hotel rooms)? I suppose it cuts down on the driving to & from the trailhead as well, does some other cool things.
Eh, that misses the point. I didn't get the camper just to use it at trailheads in place of hotel rooms before and after backpacking. (In fact, I almost never stay at hotels before or after backpacking.) I am an academic and get summers "off" and sabbaticals, and can do my research work from anywhere. The camper is an upgrade for car camping trips, and for longer road trips and boondocking.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Okay. I sent an email to Inyo to ask if a teardrop camper can be left in at the trail head on an extended hiking trip.
Now, we wait. Since I have no idea where you want to really leave it while out, You might want to do the same with other areas you are targeting.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Wow, they had a fast turn around on the answer:
Hello Russ.lown,
Do you have a particular trail head in mind?

In general, vehicles must be parked within the lines in our paved parking lots. If your tow vehicle and trailer combo is longer than the parking spaces, you may need to park curbside where it is allowed along the road to the parking lot.
Any food or scented items should be removed from vehicles to reduce the chance of bear breaking in. The bear here have been able to rip the side off of RV and trailers.

Cindy Gervasoni, Wilderness Permit Office
Supervisory Visitor Services Information
Forest Service
Inyo National Forest, Supervisor's Office
p: 760-873-2483
cindy.gervasoni@usda.gov

351 Pacu Lane
Bishop, CA 93514
www.fs.fed.us

Caring for the land and serving people
You can follow up..