Wishon Reservoir Access Road Open 5/1

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wishon Reservoir Access Road Open 5/1

Post by maverick »

Sierra NF:
Sierra National Forest would like to let visitors know that the McKinley Grove Road gate will open Wednesday May 01, 2019, allowing visitors access to McKinley Grove, and Wishon Reservoir. Courtright Road and access to the reservoir remain closed until the snow melts. Below is a photo of the top of the bathroom at the Courtright boat launch and parking area.
Photo taken 4/25:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Wishon Reservoir Access Road Open 5/1

Post by paul »

It was open before that, in fact - I just got back from a trip up there, drove in on Monday the 29th. Store is supposed to open on the 10th.
Road still blocked by snow just on the far side of the spillway bridge; and around 3 feet of snow up around the elevation of the Rancheria Trailhead. 50% coverage starts right away from the Woodchuck trailhead, which I would guess you'd be able to drive to in less than a week, as there is only a couple drifts that block driving from the spillway bridge to the Woodchuck trailhead. Road to Courtright still gated on the 5th when I checked it on the way out. Melting fast up there, but LOTS of snow still to melt.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Wishon Reservoir Access Road Open 5/1

Post by Snowtrout »

Gate was removed on Friday April 26 and I fished Wishon from my boat on Saturday April 29. Five other boats on the lake. Forest Service was telling people May 1 but my source told me otherwise. Snow level seemed consistent around 7500'. Road to Courtright still has quite a few feet of snow on it. Maybe early June???