Best guess for Tioga Pass opening?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Best guess for Tioga Pass opening?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Is overnight parking allowed? Where- any restrictions? Can you park overnight at Olmstead Point? Or only trailhead parking.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:19 pm Is overnight parking allowed? Where - any restrictions? Can you park overnight at Olmstead Point? Or only trailhead parking.
All is open Monday, business as usual...Store (7/12) and Lodge (7/19) not open yet - soon though.
Not sure about Olmsted Point - did they ever allowed overnight parking there?
Regular parking rules as in previous years...park anywhere where safe (unless posted) on 120...but get all 4 wheels beyond the white line.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

markskor wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:35 pm Not sure about Olmsted Point - did they ever allowed overnight parking there?
NO!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, I thought there was no overnight parking at Olmsted.

A word of warning about first day of opening. Two years ago I was headed for the Lukens Lake TH on the opening day, and the actual opening was delayed 1.5 hours. We all sat in a line at the gate. Maybe that was a fluke, maybe not, but it would be wise to plan for a short delay if you get there exactly at 8AM.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Wanted to see how things are Tuolumne for myself, so...
Took the 8:17 YARTS from Mammoth to TM yesterday...Observations (In no particular order):
Great driver - Roger, (and his first grade son - Justin) will handle most of this route this season...Say Hi...blow his mind!
Only 4 passengers...still $7 (senior price) one way. (cheaper than I could drive it!)
They were still putting the canvas roof back up on the store this morning...Was told finished by tomorrow. Ice machine is shakey but what else is new? Meadows are dry and very green.
TM main campground gate was still locked...nobody knew exact opening date...yet.
Stayed TM backpacker camp...water is turned on but the toilets are locked? Closest Porta Potty is at the stone building - camp reservation/ski hut parking lot.
Amazingly, some nice lady (with an official 2-way radio) came around this morning (woke me up) and asked to see my wilderness permit in order to stay in the TM backpack camp. I have never seen this - ever - probably stayed hundreds of nights there. There were maybe 20 other campers there too...no problems, looked clean too. No yellow self-pay envelopes in the box yet.
Lots of PCT coming through now.
Our employee tents behind the store
my tent.jpg
and those at the lodge are ready...good thing too as we report for work (somebody has to set up the store) Monday at 8:00 AM. I'm moving up Saturday. Store slated to open July 12th-ish (13th?)...Lodge/shuttle bus/hiker bus slated for the 19th.
As we have no extra dedicated phone lines, there is no ATM at the store...Cash or Plastic work...we do not give out any cash. Same thing for selling fishing licenses too - no dedicated phone lines, so no license sales up there.
The local TM hiker bus will be operational this year. I talked with Helen (our TM boss lady) and she did not know if they were charging a fee (she hoped not) or free as before...stay Aramark tuned.
I was going to go TM down to the Valley this morning (as it was a free YARTS day)...but met a few friends that just drove up, who told me it was a 4th of July chit-show down there. Some good news though - was told that Aramark is now operating 13 Valley shuttle buses this season...better than the 8 last year.

Stop by the store and say hi.
mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Mark, about time that you got your summer started. :)
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Quick trip back to Mammoth Lakes...just to pick up some framed art to hang.
Anyway, the store opened Friday, same as the campground. Lodge still a few days away (July 19th) as well as the promised local shuttle. YARTS is running, but the Hiker bus (Valley to TM) not yet either, and also slated for the 19th.
Temps at night tickling freezing and daytime temps a perfect mid 70's. Bluebird skies...little bit of wind... the mosquitoes not bad until sunset, and then horrendous.
No phone service yet, not even Verizon...no newspapers either...bliss!
mark