Shepherd Pass trailhead car access

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Shepherd Pass trailhead car access

Post by limpingcrab »

I need to shuttle 6 people who are coming out at Shepherd Pass on April 21sr (Easter Sunday).

I've never been up that road, could a minivan make it or do I need to figure out a two car solution?

Could an experienced driver get a minivan to that trailhead if he/she took it nice and slow?.

Thanks!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Re: Shepherd Pass trailhead car access

Post by limpingcrab »

On another note, how do I get my other thread about melting snow unlocked? Can you just delete people's inappropriate comments so I can keep it going and update once I test it this weekend?

Sorry if I should ask that question in some other place but I'm not sure where...
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I think you'll need more clearance than a minivan offers to get to the trailhead. Lots of potholes, rocks and washouts on that road.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

There are two trailheads for Sheperds, The stockman trailhead is the first one on the road and is just okay for a minivan. The backpackers trailhead is another mile or so up the road and is less than ideal for anything but high clearance. I bent my rim and got a flat tire on that road a couple of years ago in my Toyota Corolla so now I rent a high clearance vehicle for all those trailheads on the east side like Sheperds, It's so worth it.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Thanks for the info! It sounds like it’s similar to the road to Taboose Pass. I’ll figure something out...
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

If you can get a mile from the backer's trailhead, could you just walk up the road to meet the people and then all walk back down to your vehicle?

Freestone- how does the cost of renting a high clearance vehicle compare to using the commercial shuttle service?
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm If you can get a mile from the backer's trailhead, could you just walk up the road to meet the people and then all walk back down to your vehicle?

Freestone- how does the cost of renting a high clearance vehicle compare to using the commercial shuttle service?
The trail to the packers lot is all down hill and easy for someone coming out, just adds a mile or so to the end of a hike. Not too bad and is doable for a minivan to meet them there rather than the upper lot.

WD- Really can’t comment on price comparing renting vs commercial shuttle. For me, its the cost of renting versus ownership of a high clearance vehicle. After a lifetime of going to the Eastern Sierra from coastal SoCal in various compacts and minivans, I now splurge on the big rig since i can’t really afford or justify owning a big vehicle these days. I’m really dating myself now, but the cost of a new big truck is now more than what I paid for my first house!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

UPDATE

So one person bailed, leaving our group size and 5 large dudes which I will pack into my Tacoma. I just drove over there to leave my car at the trailhead and my wife followed me all the way to the trailhead in her Toyota Corolla without any issues.

A person who's experienced driving dirt roads and picking lines could get a minivan out there. Like some of you were saying, the road to the trailhead for horses is super easy, but I found the last couple miles to the actual trailhead waaaaay nicer than the Taboose Passe road.

All that said, I could see a couple winters without road maintenance resulting in a much rougher drive that would probably exclude minivans and standard sedans.

PS: please don't go steal my truck
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Have a good trip, enjoy the corn my friend!!