Hitching a ride from Roads End

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Teri
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Hitching a ride from Roads End

Post by Teri »

Thanks for all the advice. I am a woman, but will be with my 19 yo son. Not sure if that hurts or helps my chances...but either way its nice to know that we likely will be able to get out. Although after 20 days our stench isn't going to help.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

Fortunately there are showers at Roads End, conveniently closed for cleaning in the middle of the day...
I have gotten rides with the ranger who is bored out of skull driving back and forth between Roads End and Cedar Grove.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

You could sort of "hide" your son. Or make it look like you're alone. It's a bit deceptive but it might make it easier to get someone to stop. Then once they've stopped it's easier to get them to take two people. One time I saw a young woman who appeared pregnant hitchhiking. I turned around and drove back. I only had room for one person. When I stopped she stepped back and an older woman (her mother) stepped forward. She was the one I was going to drive to their car some miles down the road. It was a planned switcheroo. It cracked me up. But it worked. I wouldn't have stopped for the older woman.

One thing I've come to conclude is that attitude is an important aspect. I think it comes through to people on the road, it projects something about you to them. So try to look like the good person you are. Smile and be kind to those who drive past. It helps to appear nonthreatening to begin with, which is why I believe women have an advantage. I had a friend who, despite being a great guy, simply looked dangerous. Like he could easily have played a serial killer in a movie. I never heard him talk about hitchhiking but he told me he got checked more often than normal at airports.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Cover up all the tattoos and take out the nose ring! :D
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:59 am Cover up all the tattoos and take out the nose ring! :D
And don't open carry that day ;)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

CAMERONM wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:56 am Fortunately there are showers at Roads End, conveniently closed for cleaning in the middle of the day...
I have gotten rides with the ranger who is bored out of skull driving back and forth between Roads End and Cedar Grove.
Showers at Roads End? REALLY?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Yes, at the store in Cedar Grove, not at the "actual" roads end. It is about 5 miles from roads end to the store.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Yes, sorry, showers at Cedar Grove, not Roads End. But the point is that one can clean up before attempting the longer hitchhike.
You can also obtain really hideous grilled cheese sandwiches on white bread.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

That’s one of the easier spots to hitch from so you’ll probably get a ride.

If you want to have something more reliable then send me a message when the time is near with your exit date. I spend a LOT of time in the summer and fall at our cabin in Grants Grove and love excuses to drive down to roads end. No guarantee it’ll work out, but feel free to check when the time is closer, I’ve already done that for a few people on this forum and I enjoyed it.
pvalovich
Topix Novice

Hitching Advice

Post by pvalovich »

I live in Ridgecrest, spend a lot of time hiking from Eastern Sierra Trailheads and often pick up hitchhikers. Some advice:
1. Parking lot entrances, main highway turnoffs, and the beginning of freeway on-ramps are best. It's too hard to stop in speeding traffic.
2. Display your backpack.
3. Make a sign if possible.
4. You don't have to be sparkling clean, but make an effort to clean up a bit.
5. Don't hesitate to ask. Worse thing that can happen is they say no.
6. If you can afford it, be prepared to offer a few dollars for gas. I personally won't accept money as a driver, but a couple years ago I exited Shepherd Pass with my truck in the Onion Valley parking lot. No one was interested in going that far out of their way until I offered $20.
7. Humor: If the rider mentions appreciation for the ride - and mentions something about you not even knowing whether they are serial killers, come back with the question: What are the odds of having two different serial killers in the car at the same time?
8. Be female.
9. Split the group - one person is easy, two ok, three gets harder and four or more gets real hard.