Shuttle between VVR and Red's Meadow ?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Shuttle between VVR and Red's Meadow ?

Post by The Other Tom »

I would like to start my hike at Red's and exit at VVR, but I would need a shuttle back to Red's. Any public transportion options or other ideas ?
PhilB
Topix Acquainted

Post by PhilB »

I don't intend to sound unhelpful but it may be quicker and easier to walk back to Reds Meadow.

The only way out of VVR is a very rough road with no public transport options. You would probably be able to hitch ok but you might have to get near to Fresno (60+ miles ) before public transport is available.

From there you can get to Merced where the YARTS bus runs to Yosemite. Another bus goes from Yosemite to Mammoth then the Devils Postpile shuttle will get you back to Reds. Total miles - I guess 200 and at least 2 days travelling to make the connections.

Its your hike, but it will be much easier to do a loop back to Reds Meadow or exit at an east side trailhead.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the info, though.