Marmot Protection at Mineral King

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Marmot Protection at Mineral King

Post by kpeter »

I've just discovered that Marmots have been a problem in past years at some Mineral King parking lots, as in marmots eating hoses and other things from underneath the cars. I have never been there and have not experience with this. What have your experiences been? Do you do anything special to protect your vehicles when you leave them at the trailhead? Are some places to park at Mineral King more prone to this problem than others?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Marmot Protection at Mineral King

Post by Shawn »

Hi kpeter -

I noticed your other post about MK, so I thought I'd put a few words here.

As you've read, opinions, theories and actions vary a great deal. Seems to be a hit and miss sort of situation. There was only one time out of many trips the marmots did any damage to my car. I believed then, as I do now, it occurred because it was peak season for marmots and my car was the sole vehicle in the lot when I returned late in the day. With agony, I could see the hungry little guys surrounding my car as I descended the switchbacks to the Sawtooth trail head.

On another occasion, again peak marmot season, a ranger recommended that I park across from the ranger station. Her advice seemed logical in that many cars would come and go, apparently keeping the little car eaters away. As a bonus that day, she gave me a ride to the trail head. Not sure how they'd feel about parking there for a multi-day outing though. The extra distance went by in a flash on the way out.

I've used all the contraptions over the years, but mostly just park among the masses and hope for the best these days. Seems MK has become much more popular in the last 5 or 6 years. Perhaps that's the best marmot deterrent.