2017 Road Reports

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2017 Road Reports

Post by AlmostThere »

The 140 into Yosemite has reopened - the crews worked miracles.
http://sierranewsonline.com/highway-140 ... -reopened/
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

not the latest conditions, but it is a video that has me somewhat worried about my early July plans...

[youtube_vid]<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/crECtMJQ3OA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

AlmostThere already posted that http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ga#p118595 , but it's fun to watch. They have plowed a lane all the way through according to Markskor. Now the widening, repairing. Yes, July might be early because that's when you step off the plowed stuff and onto the stuff just sitting there still. Was 100" still at the Tioga Pass entry station last I checked yesterday.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

North Lake Road Currently Closed 6/19

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
Heads up: North Lake Rd is currently closed due to runoff related damage. Inyo County Road Department is assessing the damage, and will have it open as soon as repairs can be made. We will keep you up to date!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Any idea how many are "trapped" up there?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

rlown wrote:AlmostThere already posted that http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... ga#p118595 , but it's fun to watch. They have plowed a lane all the way through according to Markskor. Now the widening, repairing. Yes, July might be early because that's when you step off the plowed stuff and onto the stuff just sitting there still. Was 100" still at the Tioga Pass entry station last I checked yesterday.
I have no choice regarding our start date, unless we just stay home. For 2+ week vacations dates must be set 6 months in advance where I work now. We'll have the gear to deal with snow and colder conditions, but things like trailhead availability, Tuolumne Meadows ranger station, or long term parking along the Tioga road may not be in place yet. Already working on alternate plans.

100 inches is a lot for 9900 feet this time of year. Going to need a lot of sunblock this year.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

140 into Yosemite is once again closed due to another rockfall, however, there is a detour on Foresta Rd, between El Portal Village and the bridge. Anticipating roadwork until June 22.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

... and 140 is fully operational again -kudoes to the road crew who by now has obviously had sufficient practice to get the job done that fast.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Inyo Co Road Flooding / Closures 6/20

Post by maverick »

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:

CURRENT ROAD CLOSURES:

Lower Rock Creek Road, from Pine Creek to Birchim Lane, CLOSED due to flooding. Alternate route for the community of 40 Acres is via Gorge Road. Date closed: 6/20/17

Pine Creek Road, west of Rovana, CLOSED due to potential for flooding. Date closed: 6/20/17

North Round Valley Road, north of Pine Creek Road, CLOSED due to flooding (bridge damage). Date closed: 6/20/17

Tinemaha Road (dirt road), from Fuller Road to Taboose Creek Road, CLOSED due to flooding. Date closed 6/20/17

Onion Valley Road, above Seven Pines, CLOSED – due to potential for flooding. Date closed: 6/20/17

Seven Pines cabin community, west of Independence, road CLOSED due to runoff crossing the bridge. Date closed: 6/20/17

North Lake Road, CLOSED due to runoff related road damage. Date closed: 6/17/17

Brockman Lane, between 395 and Dixon Lane, CLOSED due to flooding (runoff crossing road). Date closed 6/2/17

FLOODED / USE CAUTION:

6/20/17: South Round Valley Road is flooded – not currently closed - anyone requiring access to this area is advised to use extreme caution.

We will keep you updated!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Lakes Basin Road Opening 6/21

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
The Inyo National Forest announces that the Lakes Basin Road will open for the 2017 season tomorrow, June 21.

While the road has been plowed, employees have continued with routine road maintenance such as filling pot holes and clearing culverts. They are still widening and opening parking lots covered in snow, placing dumpsters and porta potties, removing hazard trees and energizing water systems.

“I would like to acknowledge the tireless work of the Town of Mammoth Lakes maintenance crews, the forest’s engineering and fire staff, and numerous others who have made the effort to open the Lakes Basin Road,” said Jon Regelbrugge, Mammoth and Mono Lakes District Ranger. “It is no small feat to clear this area after this winter.”

Horseshoe Lake remains closed. The area is still under snow, which traps the naturally occurring carbon dioxide. Additionally, the Old Mammoth Road to Lakes Basin remains closed with significant storm damage.

There is currently not potable water in Forest Service areas so visitors should bring water with them or may be able to purchase water from concessionaires as they open.

Visitors should expect significant snow still in the area, including on trails and on many popular recreation sites like campgrounds and marinas. Parking will be limited. Other areas may be flooded as snow melts.

Additionally, visitors should expect that the lakes are still partially ice covered. It is in no way safe to traverse the lakes. Creeks and streams are flowing at dangerous levels: please avoid them and keep close track of children and pets.

“While we welcome people to come and enjoy the beauty of the Lakes Basin area,” said Shields Richardson, Mayor, Town of Mammoth Lakes, “please take care to experience the area safely.