Van Vleck Trailhead, Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Van Vleck Trailhead, Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF

Post by FeetFirst »

How's the road to Van Vleck Trailhead? I went about 10 years ago and recall it being a bit rutted in spots and was happy to be in a truck. I'll now be in a passenger car (Subaru Impreza). Will I, or more precisely my oil pan, be OK? Thanks.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Van Vleck Trailhead, Desolation Wilderness, Eldorado NF

Post by FeetFirst »

Well, either my memory is shot or...? The road (Cheese Camp) is paved the entire 6 miles. Looks like some serious pothole patching was recently done and thus the ride is mostly smooth. There was one fairly large and deep pothole that could possibly cause damage that's thankfully marked with white spray paint. It's on the west bound side of Cheese Camp Road about halfway back to Ice House Rd. The final turn-out to the TH parking area is dirt, but clearance is fine for normal cars.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.