Isberg trailhead - drivable?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Isberg trailhead - drivable?

Post by cslaght »

Was there last week! I've seen worse roads around the sierras and there shouldn't be any issue with driving a normal clearance vehicle to the trailhead. We did take the Minarets highway as it's paved all but the last 6 miles, plus the views are much better. If you're coming from Oakhurst, you can cut around Bass Lake to North Fork and the difference in time should be negligible. Keep in mind that it takes at least an hour/hour and a half as you go deep back in there. The two times I've been back there were in higher clearance vehicles but when I did it, I would have no doubts my Cruze could make it.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Isberg trailhead - drivable?

Post by LMBSGV »

I've been taking only the Minaret Road since 1978, driving everything from a VW bug to a Toyota Tercel or Corolla. They rerouted the road to the present Isberg Trailhead sometime in the 1980s (I don't remember the exact year). I've never had a problem with any of those vehicles since they put in the new trailhead and parking. By the way, at both Clover Meadow and Granite Creek, there is no fee for camping and there are some great campsites.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com