Onion Valley Parking Lot

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
bravefanla
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Onion Valley Parking Lot

Post by bravefanla »

Can anyone give me a status report on the road to OVPL and whether or not its open? I'm thinking of going up for a quick two-nighter over the holiday weekend. Thanks
Bravefan
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Onion Valley Parking Lot

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Hello Bravefan, the road to OVPL has been open for some time now. As far as hiking goes, I'm guessing pretty dry until Gilbert Lake and probably a nice amount of snow between there and the pass. I haven't been there myself for a bit over a month now, but maybe somebody has been more recently.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

bravefanla
Topix Acquainted

Post by bravefanla »

Tie, thanks for the link to that hiker's TR. Wow!! Sounds like he ran into a few hikers who weren't prepared. Good thing K2 and Atlantis showed up. My trip isn't until mid to late June so I'll be ok as there will be a lot of melt-off. Brave fan