New Article: Hichhiking, Bus Connections and Ride-Sharing

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tips For Hitchhiking In The Sierra

Post by limpingcrab »

Thanks for linking the article, rlown. Good stuff.

All I'd add is what I said in the Cedar Grove thread, carrying technical gear has helped me out a lot, to the point where I sometimes stash a piece of rope and a helmet to pick up when I'm back and need a ride to my car. Fishing pole, life jacket/paddle, climbing harness, etc have also worked. Wearing caving coveralls caused a total strikeout though, can't figure that one out!

I mostly hitchhike in SEKI where there are lots of visitors coming to look at trees and can't tell the difference between a bum and a backpacker.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Other hikers will often be the most reliable source of transport, I've found hanging out at trailheads and asking as people get off the trail helps a lot. I've also gotten rides from Deleware North, NP, and NF employees, though early in the morning as they are going to work. Now I'm always on the lookout and willing to help any backpackers I can.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Should start here as Mark already has a very nice article on the topic: http://www.highsierratopix.com/hitchhik ... e-sharing/
And an existing thread.. Pinned to the top of this forum. :p
Merging...
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix