Speeding In Yosemite | High Sierra Topix  

Speeding In Yosemite

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!

Re: Speeding In Yosemite

Postby rlown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:31 am

balzaccom wrote:Yes...but there are also RVs on 120 over Tioga Pass driving 22 mph and taking over part the on-coming lane, too. sigh.

And even if you hi-beam them, they don't use the turnouts. ](*,)

rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby maverick » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes...but there are also RVs on 120 over Tioga Pass driving 22 mph and taking over part the on-coming lane, too. sigh.

By law, RV's are supposed to pull to the side, whenever 5 or more vehicles are following. Is it different in Yosemite NP?
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby rlown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:36 pm

It's not just RV's. Anyone with 5 cars behind is supposed to use the turnouts, but they don't. If I'm slower than someone behind me, I will use them because I love the fact that someone faster is in front of me as a Bear, Deer and Cop deterrent. :)
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby markskor » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Asked a Ranger, what is the biggest danger in Yosemite...drowning, falling, etc.
Surprised by the answer...A rented RV. Anybody can rent one of these with zero instruction.

"5 cars behind and pull over" may be the law, but along the 120 corridor, in the summer, realistically expect 25 mph and 30 car parades - obviously clueless... no thoughts/ ideas about using any turnout.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby zacjust32 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Also important to note that once stopped, it's hard to get an RV or fifth-wheel going again unless it's powered by a heavy diesel pusher. The best thing to do in that situation is to regularly slow at the turnouts and let the one or two cars that built up go by without coming to a complete stop. RV renters don't know this and/or don't care.
Hiker, adventurer, fabricator, tinkerer, theologian, and occasional student. http://www.zacjust.blogspot.com
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby psykokid » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:59 pm

I avoid rental RV's while on the road like the plague. 90% of the time the driver has no clue..

I am well averse to using turnouts as I'm usually the slow one. My truck will go anywhere I point it, albeit in a slow steady manner. Asking it to go fast (especially uphill) is like asking a three toed sloth to sprint..
psykokid
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby rlown » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:01 pm

you, my friend need a turbo on that truck!

I prefer to drive the 120 at night. Yes, increased risk of deer/bear, but no RV's..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby austex » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Rented Rv's and U-Hauls. I steer away from both like the plague. Any yahoo with a license can rent them; but not many can "drive" them.
Drive with conviction and as far ahead as possible; plan your next move and have an "out" if someone else does something stupid...

Russ, I like turbos and superchargers too! :wink: Gives you "options"
austex
Topix Regular

Postby hjldennis » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:17 am

Some time ago in kings canyon, I had to transport my friend's young daughter to a restroom about a mile away on a serious number 2 emergency. I sped, and ranger had lights on behind me. I continued to the campsite restroom, the girl ran to the restroom, and the ranger let me off the hook. I find park rangers to be pretty cool almost all the time.

I do drive an RV sometimes, not rented, and I never wait for 5 cars behind me. Even one, depending on my speed (or lack of) and duration, is enough for me to pull over. But sometimes it's easy to miss a turnout with a slow braking though. I can imagine a nervous newbie RV driver scared to take the turnouts. And yes, driving an RV takes alot of attention. I saw many rented rv driving with tv antenna up or a roof vent wide open. I myself drove over 100 miles with one of the compartment door opened. It was a near miracle that none of the contents fell out.
wandering outdoors and the universe
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Postby richlong8 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:50 am

Are any of you like me? I have a love/hate relationship with Yosemite. I love Yosemite for the obvious reasons, but I avoid it like the plague, unless I can go at a time where it is not going to be busy. It is like an urban area in the middle of nowhere. Really takes away from the Yosemite experience. It would not surprise to read of some kind of "road rage" incident in Yosemite, or a high speed "O.J." chase thru the park. Crazy in the summertime.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby Wandering Daisy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm

I have a bit of a different opinion of the "little town" in Yosemite Valley and the crowds. As a rock climber, I appreciate the fact that I can bring in my car loaded with my stuff and park at pullouts to access the climbs. It would be more difficult if cars were not allowed. Granted, international climbers have no transportation in the Valley, but they usually get a ride with the numerous locals who do have cars.

As for crowds, I am glad that the general public has access to the spectacular scenery. I have seen many a baby pushed in a stroller up to the Vernal Falls bridge. My grandchildren have been some of these! Yosemite Valley is NOT a wilderness area. It is a PARK, for the public, and that means all kinds of "public". It should not be only for those of us "fit" enough to walk. On a whole, I enjoy the general public when I am walking the trails in Yosemite Valley. So many foreign countries represented and such a diversity of people. The cars do cause traffic jams. I have figured out how to avoid most. And I think the general public is figuring out that using the shuttle busses beat driving.

And yes, I avoid summer in the Valley, but that is more because of the heat and the fact that the high country is open. I love going to Yosemite in the winter.

And yes, I have speeded, but luckily have avoided tickets so far. Over the last 15 years they really have lowered the speed limit to almost ridiculous.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby hjldennis » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:44 am

Crowded Yosemite Valley is totally expected and acceptable imo, since it is justifiably worldwide attraction. Even then, it's pretty empty before 9am at any given day, right? I am a little annoyed that we cannot be up on halfdome in early morning on memorial weekend anymore, as we did every year to sort of kick off summer hiking season... Apart from Yosemite and Sierra, I am annoyed that I now wonder if I will ever want to check out the Wave, or take my kids to SupaI Falls. The Internet is to blame I guess. There was an interesting read about how Arches NP had become so accessible and thereby a zoo.
Attachments
mesa crowd.jpg
Like this photo of famous Mesa Arch at sunrise. We happened to be passing there at the right time, so the crowd really didn't bother me, but was sort of amusing how every bit of space in front of the arch was filled with tripods...
mesa arch-1.jpg
But I pulled an acrobatic move to squeeze in a couple of good shots over them with my point and shoot lol
wandering outdoors and the universe
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation To & From