hitch-hiking chances, Taboose to Baxter

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
jmnorvell
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

hitch-hiking chances, Taboose to Baxter

Post by jmnorvell »

What do you think my chances would be coming out from Taboose Creek on Sunday and hoping for a lift down and up to the Baxter Pass trailhead? Do those roads get pretty steady traffic? (I haven't decided on this itinerary for sure, so I'm not trying set up anything yet.)

John
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: hitch-hiking chances, Taboose to Baxter

Post by BigMan »

I don't think Baxter Pass trailhead is terribly popular. I hiked out of there on a Sunday in July 2012 and there were 2 other cars in the parking lot.

You could try hitching and convince the driver to take you up there.

If you don't mind paying I had a good experience with Paul from East Side Sierra Shuttle.

Good luck.

Geoff
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
jmnorvell
Topix Novice

Post by jmnorvell »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
BigMan wrote:I don't think Baxter Pass trailhead is terribly popular. I hiked out of there on a Sunday in July 2012 and there were 2 other cars in the parking lot.

You could try hitching and convince the driver to take you up there.

If you don't mind paying I had a good experience with Paul from East Side Sierra Shuttle.

Good luck.

Geoff
Last edited by jmnorvell on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
John Norvell
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Zero to none.

But seriously, unless someone is coming out, at the same time you are, forget it. It is also a dry, and a very hot area, so you better load up on water if you plan on walking towards down to the Taboose Creek campground, and on to 395 to get a ride.

If by chance, someone else arrives to the trailhead as you do, then approach them, offer them a fair amount of $$, and you may luck out (find out how much the shuttle costs, so you do offer a fair amount).

If you decide to get a shuttle, reserve asap.

Goodluck
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org