Self Driving Cars | High Sierra Topix  

Self Driving Cars

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!

Self Driving Cars

Postby maverick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am

How many of you are looking forward to having one? Sleeping, to and from the trailhead, can hardly wait. Or do you freak out at the thought of a self driving vehicle, self driving down to Roads End or the southern entrance to SEKI?
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Self Driving Cars

Postby Jimr » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:14 pm

If it can drop me off on the west side and drive itself to the east side, then I'm in.
What?!
Jimr
Topix Fanatic

Postby maverick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 pm

That would be cool Jim, you could start at any trailhead in the Sierra, exit whichever one you wanted, your car would be at the trailhead, though I wonder whether a self parking feature is something that is part of this whole deal.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby WarrenFork » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

maverick wrote:...though I wonder whether a self parking feature is something that is part of this whole deal.

According to BMW's next self-parking car won't need any human help it will be a five year wait for a "Remote Valet Parking Assistant" that employs high-resolution laser scanners built into the car’s body to capture data on its surroundings and park the vehicle on command from a smartphone app.
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Return to Transportation To & From