advice needed: driving on dirt roads in the mountains

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: advice needed: driving on dirt roads in the mountains

Post by AlmostThere »

Didn't mean to imply that you weren't - sorry. In fact, the 4WD clubbers clear all the FS roads (such as the ones into Dinkey) of fallen trees, and some of them belong to the Fresno SAR, using their very high clearance to transport teams into the wilderness. On the aforementioned trip we met some who were so impressed that we had backpacked all the way from the Brewer OHV trailhead (about six easy miles... but then they weren't hikers) that they gave us beer.

Most folks in the backcountry are that way. The problem is the ones who don't listen - then again, there are so many self professed experts in the world, it's hard to know which ones are worth listening to. I've had many an old timer inform me loudly that I'd get cold in my hammock... you'd think if that were true I'd have stopped sleeping in it after a few months, instead of using it for the past seven years.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: advice needed: driving on dirt roads in the mountains

Post by Big Ed »

Yeah, I thought later that you didn't mean it that way. It's all good, I'm not easily offended, just try to respond to what I think is being said. I'm in the Four Wheel Drive Club of Fresno, and help every year on trail projects. I helped move 4 toilets last year, at Swamp, Grouse, and Coyote. When they get near full, we have to dig a new hole and drag them over it. Also built 4 new toilets in my back yard, they are now installed at Dusy Creek (Courtright), Thompson Lake, East Lake, and Mallard Lake. We don't usually clear the roads accessing the trailheads, the Forest Service and The Stewards of the Sierra do that.

My fellow four wheelers are amazed at the hikes I do, I walk through Dusy Ershim every year before we are allowed to drive in, and come out with a conditions report. There are other 4 wheelers that hike, but not many. I also know what you mean by the self professed experts, I've had to run off other 4 wheelers that try to make me do things their way. If I'm going on a hiking trip, I don't take my trail rig, so then I'm in the same boat as other hikers.