Old Back Roads?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Old Back Roads?

Post by InsaneBoost »

I'm trying to find some nice quiet backroads to travel, if that's the way to put it? Something that will give good sights, chances to see wildlife, etc.

I've done the Kaiser Pass Road, which necessarily was a bit intimidating, but I did enjoy it. I also like the Sierra Vista Scenic Byway, believe it's Route 81? Something like that?

Looking for more roads like that around the area, if there are any. I think there's one by Bass Lake that I've somewhat done, but can't remember the name of it exactly. I think you go down some Ranch road to get to it?

Anyways, anyone have recommendations. Always looking for some drives for one of the family members who can't always go hiking, and for those days I myself don't feel like getting out and hiking either haha.

Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Old Back Roads?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The road by Bass Lake is called the Minaret Highway. It loops north and then back west and although it is named a "highway" it is dirt on the back half. Comes back out north of going in. It is on maps. Only thing you have to worry about is snow - they do not generally plow it - just have to wait until it melts out. By the way, some good technical rock climbing area back there. Also some great day-hikes to the San Joaquin. Really deep canyon. I think it is a whitewater kayaking area. Balloon Dome is pretty impressive.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

many years ago, I was looking for a way to get from Kings canyon to Wishon reservoir without having to go all of the way back to Fresno. I believe my buddy and I turned North onto Black Rock Road. From the map, it looks right. It cuts through the black oak riddled foothills above Pine Flat reservoir and winds it's way all of the way to just before Wishon Reservoir. There was an unbelievable little tarn withing a mile or so of the end, spitting out onto McKinley grove road. The tarn was just covered with lilly pads. It basically follows the North fork Kings river. I believe it is a PG & E road. We stopped several times to allow donkeys and cattle to cross, saw some deer and some excellent country from foothills to forest. The upper part is cut right out of the cliffs of the North Fork canyon as it climbs up toward the dam at Wishon.

A pretty cool loop if you want to kill a day driving in the country.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

There are some of these roads between Toms Place and Mammoth.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Head up to eastern oregon! Except for I-84 every road is a back road by California standards!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Just a few of the road accessible places visited a little over a week ago.

A little far away and not in the Sierra,but I couldn't help myself. On several days we saw less than 1 truck per hour for most of the day, most pulling stock trailers, and no cars. We did have a fair amount of cowsh-t on the 4-Runner as we just missed several cattle drives. And we did cross, a couple of times a really old road--the Oregon Trail.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Stop at the ranger station in Prather and get the free maps of the forest service roads in Sierra National Forest.

Another neat place to explore are the roads up above Camp Nelson in fall. We hiked the Freeman Creek trail yesterday and saw two people - at the far end, where there is another road coming up from Johnsondale to a parking lot. There are serious sequoias to be explored out there... going back to find the Great Goshawk in the near future.
InsaneBoost
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by InsaneBoost »

Thanks for the info so far, definitely interested in all of these for sure.