Taboose TH Beta?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Taboose TH Beta?

Post by BSquared »

Hi, all,

I'm finally getting out to the Sierra in early September this year, and the trip will go in over Bishop Pass and come out via Taboose. I've never been over Taboose or to the trailhead before, but several people here have commented that the road is terrible, and Wandering Daisy noted that the trailhead itself was virtually uncampable. Anyone been there this season? Improved? Gotten worse? I'm going to be renting a car and would like to help with the shuttle, but I'm more than a little daunted by the tales I've heard of the road, especially in a rental car.
—B²
freestone
Topix Expert

Re: Taboose TH Beta?

Post by freestone »

I have not been there this year, but pretty sure not much has changed since last year, when I was there in September. I got in and out in my 2004 Corolla. Going toward the trailhead can be confusing because it's not an obvious destination, but going out is easier, just go downhill and an easterly heading and pay attention to the numbered road markings at the intersections. Go slow and pick your route carefully over an occasional deep rut. Plan on an hour to travel between the TH and 395, even though it's only a dozen or so miles between the two points. There is a public campground close by, but sleeping in your car at the TH would be ok too. It's a very lonely isolated trailhead, but not nightmarish in any way.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Have not been up there either since the search for Q, but agree with Freestone's
assessment, made it with my 2008 Honda Civic.
This year could not get passed a certain point on the Shepherd Pass Traihead road. :\
I think since there were 2 of us in the car, it made a difference, maybe if I were
solo I could have made all the way to the trailhead or maybe not.
Knowing that it costs $800 to get a tow from that area also definitely plays on ones
mind.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Just thought I'd complete this circle: we did the trip, and your assessments of the road were right on. Thanks! It gave me no trouble in the 2014 Corolla I rented, but I did have to go *very* slowly. I'd say an absolute minimum of half an hour from 395 to the TH, but I didn't really time it, and it may have been longer. There were three of us with all our gear (and an overnight bag for me) on the way out, and we didn't have any more trouble coming out than we did going in.

I really don't see where one would camp there, nor do I see any reason for it, since there's a USFS campground close to the junction with 395.
—B²