Alaska Air summer flights Mammoth - LAX - reliable?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Alaska Air summer flights Mammoth - LAX - reliable?

Post by OzSwaggie »

Thanks Austex that is really interesting! - and reassuring.

We did notice when booking these Alaska flights that on all the flights about 1/4 of the seats are marked not available - the same seats - and wondered about this. Must be just keeping the plane lighter!

Thanks also (sorry forget who it was) for the information about the ground transportation by bus. We did hire a car on one trip but found driving on the "right/wrong" :) side of the road and the high speeds driven in California kinda undid the relaxation part of our trip!

We've fiddled with our schedule to give us an extra two days at the end of our trip, and we'll have one day in Mammoth and two in LA.

Thanks for all the information and advice. I don't know what we would do without HST!
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

OzSwaggie wrote:
Thanks also (sorry forget who it was) for the information about the ground transportation by bus. We did hire a car on one trip but found driving on the "right/wrong" :) side of the road and the high speeds driven in California kinda undid the relaxation !
Driving in LA is unnerving for ANYONE. Very stressful, I'll be driving at 70 mph and people pass by me like I'm standing still. So take a buss until Lancaster then get a car, pretty easy driving from there on out.
I'm no suture for my future.
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

My brother and his kids come out every summer and we fly to mammoth from LAX. Weve done it about three times without a problem. The last time flying home they were expecting a lot of wind and turbulence so they asked people to volunteer for the next flight so the plane was lighter. Flew home with out a problem. The stewardess said the flights are rarely cancelled. Also, you fly up the east side and come directly over evo valley to dusy basin. The views are spectacular. I wouldn't worry about the flights getting cancelled.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Footnote: We flew into Mammoth Lakes no problems. Our return flight, (which took us back to LAX to meet our international flight) was very crowded. We learned that the flight the previous day had been cancelled, and that not all passengers had been able to fit onto the next day's flight (ie our flight). We were OK, luckily, but some people from the previous day had had to make "alternative arrangements". ie, ground transport. I'm still not sure how often this happens, but it is worth keeping in mind! Next time I think we will plan on flying out of Fresno or Reno rather than Mammoth Lakes.