Laurel Lakes 4x4 road to Lake Genevieve

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Laurel Lakes 4x4 road to Lake Genevieve

Post by steve_moran »

Hi all,

Sometime I would like to do the hike from the TH near the top of Laurel Lakes Road to Lake Genevieve. But my vehicle is a Toyota Corolla, so I would not be driving, and I would not be hiking the entire length of the road from Sherwin Creek Road either. So the only thing that occurred to me was trying to catch a ride with somebody in their 4x4 at the beginning of the road (using the strategy somebody on HST described as "waving a $20 bill in one hand and your thumb in the other").

Obviously the more 4x4's going up to Laurel Lakes on the day I attempted this, the better my chances of snagging a ride. But I have no idea how much traffic goes to that destination, so hopefully some of you who do can shed some light on how feasible it might be to attempt this. An encouraging opinion might be something like "on summer weekends/holidays thru Labor Day, you stand a reasonably good chance." A discouraging opinion might be something like "on September weekdays after Labor Day, you could very well stand there all day without even a single 4x4 passing you, never mind stopping to give you a lift." And obviously your opinions could fall somewhere between these 2 extremes.

Again, any light anybody might be able to shed on this idea will be most appreciated. Thanx!

Regards,
steve
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Re: Laurel Lakes 4x4 road to Lake Genevieve

Post by John Dittli »

Steve

Every ten years or so I drive that road, then I remember how heinous it is and don't drive it again until I forget...

I was up there three summers ago. I made the mistake of hiking out on a Saturday in August. In the hour or so it took to drive down the road I think we saw 6-8 cars all coming up (difficult to get by one another!)

Also, I frequently see vehicles on it as I'm passing by going to town. So I think there are a lot more vehicles on it then there used to be, whether someone in their Humvee is going to give you a ride is all together another question....
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted

Re: Laurel Lakes 4x4 road to Lake Genevieve

Post by steve_moran »

Thanx John!