Laurel Lakes 4x4 road

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Laurel Lakes 4x4 road

Post by steve_moran »

Hi all,

Sometime I would like to do the hike from the TH near the top of Laurel Lakes Road to Lake Genevieve. But my vehicle is a Toyota Corolla, so I would not be driving, and I would not be hiking the entire length of the road from Sherwin Creek Road either. So the only thing that occurred to me was trying to catch a ride with somebody in their 4x4 at the beginning of the road (using the strategy somebody on HST described as "waving a $20 bill in one hand and your thumb in the other").

Obviously the more 4x4's going up to Laurel Lakes on the day I attempted this, the better my chances of snagging a ride. But I have no idea how much traffic goes to that destination, so hopefully some of you who do can shed some light on how feasible it might be to attempt this. An encouraging opinion might be something like "on summer weekends/holidays thru Labor Day, you stand a reasonably good chance." A discouraging opinion might be something like "on September weekdays after Labor Day, you could very well stand there all day without even a single 4x4 passing you, never mind stopping to give you a lift." And obviously your opinions could fall somewhere between these 2 extremes.

Again, any light anybody might be able to shed on this idea will be most appreciated. Thanx!

Regards,
steve
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Laurel Lakes 4x4 road

Post by austex »

Steve,
on summer weekends/holidays thru Labor Day, you stand a reasonably good chance w/b my opinion. It is used a lot by day trippers. I can't say the numbers/day but is a popular spot. As a 4wheeler I would just take the thumb out and not the $20 bill. If I'm going that way, probably have room and you have similar interests; hop on. I bet Markskor or Rock Chuckker have more input as being "locals"?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Looking out my front door, indeed Laurel Mountain beckons.
Having driven that road once last summer...well, you're right, your Toyota wouldn't make it as my Jeep barely held on to that single-lane obstacle course/roller coaster. Bottom line - not much traffic.

IMHO, you could hold a hundred dollar bill out...and after a few hours, still have your Benjamin.
While anything could happen, would not feel comfortable trying to hitch up there.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Laurel lakes road sees traffic very seldom. I bet you could wait a week or more for a ride. Rent a jeep! It is a nasty road that couldn't handle more than a truck or two. Very narrow steep switchbacks that would suck to meet someone going the other way.
I'm no suture for my future.
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted

Post by steve_moran »

Many thanks to Rockchucker, markshor, and austex! Better to find out my idea wasn't feasible up front instead of after the fact.
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted

Post by steve_moran »

sorry, make that markskor, not markshor.
steve_moran
Topix Acquainted

Post by steve_moran »

Rockchucker, your advice is to rent a jeep. Anytime I've ever looked into that, I've been told the rental company's policy is that their vehicles, even high-clearance 4x4's, are NOT allowed off-road, which they define as ANY unpaved road, and if I return a vehicle with scratches in the paint from brush, damage to the underside from bottoming out, etc., I will be financially responsible.

Do you, or anybody else on HST, know of anybody to rent this kind of vehicle from in the Eastern Sierra without the restriction about staying on pavement?

Thanx!
steve
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Here is a TR to that area which does mention the road being somewhat busy
during the weekends: http://www.gbr.4wdtrips.net/4x4/laurel.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Steve, I've never rented a car before so I'm really no help sorry. Maybe someone from a local jeep club could arrange a ride.
I'm no suture for my future.